Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Last Night's Dinner Salad















What a yummy dinner it was! Served with a fresh baguette, this modification of Tasty Kitchen's Deviled Eggs in a Nest of Butter Lettuce made a perfect summer dinner for 6. I was able to use butter and romaine lettuce from the garden, but also bought a head of butter lettuce at Hannaford's. I added the first of our Sweet 100 and Sungold tomatoes to the salad. I also added shaved steak, left over from Monday's steak dinner, cooked a la our friend Brucepedia.













The biggest change I made was the salad ingredients and the deviled eggs. I used 8 eggs, and the funny part is that not knowing SP ate a broken half, no explanation of even numbers and multiples of two kept Daughter from counting 15 eggs. We love lots of laughter in our kitchen!

I doubled the dressing (recipe below) and it was perfection - I will be using it again! So that any left overs would save well, I let everyone dress their own. The serving tray was picked clean in the end but we do have leftover dressing - hooray!

In making the deviled eggs, I added fresh tarragon from the front garden bed. I did find that the amount of dressing added made them rather watery and messy, so next time I will use less of the dressing. In an attempt to dry it up a bit I added some white pepper, ground sage, and mustard powder. They were super yummy!

Dressing Ingredients
  • ½ cups Light Mayonnaise
  • 3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
  • 2 Tablespoons Honey
  • 4 teaspoons Rice Wine Vinegar
Dressing Preparation Instructions

1. Whisk mayonnaise, mustard, honey, and vinegar in a small bowl.

* this is a great honey Dijon recipe!

2. * Mash 5 tablespoons of the dressing into the yolks to make a smooth filling.

*Next time I will use less of the dressing. I like my deviled egg stuffing to be stiffer. I hope to return to this recipe and rewrite my version.

(Dressing, filling, and eggs can be covered and refrigerated overnight.)

No comments: