Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Meet my favorite summer sandwich. HiHo loved making cucumber sandwiches. My kids ask for them by name. Friends want me to fax them and there is none other can compare. My making of these sandwiches has been compared to OCD and has rendered other people incapable of making sandwiches. They are so good, SP at them while mowing the lawn.
Meet the cast of characters - a simple line up.
1/4 to 1/2 a red onion, minced
White Bread, preferably Pepperidge Farm
one cucumber (yea there's 4 in the picture but you only need one)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Mince your onion
2. Fork your cucumber - yes you take a fork and drag it down the skin, cutting slits into the skin and therefore softening it and beautifying it for your future slicing.
Yes and because HiHo taught me how.
3. Slice your cucumber thinly.
4. Lay out your bread into an assembly line.
5. Spread mayonnaise, salt, pepper and lemon pepper on slices of bread.
6. Sprinkle a layer of red onion down, and then cover it with a layer of cucumbers.
7. Close your sandwich and press.
8. Cut into different shapes, and arrange on a plate.