This is another Martha Stewart recipe I have loved for years. She calls is Individual Strawberry Jam cakes. This recipe was one of those pull out recipe cards from Martha Stewart’s Living in November of 2003. This HM (high Maintenance) muffin recipe is a superb use of time, particularly when looking for a breakfast option when your house is full of men heading out to go hunting or fishing in the early morning hours, which is what I did, that fall of 2003. I was also very pregnant with Daughter, so I remember a lot about that houseful! You can make this any time of the year, for breakfast, snack, or dessert, and use any kind of ham or jelly you can think of!
Ingredients (Yields 6 cakes)
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
2 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
6 Tablespoons (or more) jam or preserves
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter standard muffin tins and set aside.
3. In a mixer, beat butter with sugar and zest until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in egg yolks one at a time until creamy. Set aside in new bowl and clean mixer bowl.
5. Into another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
6. Add flour mixture and milk, in alternating batches to butter mixture and set aside.
7. In a clean mixer bowl, whisk egg whites to soft peaks and fold into batter.
8. Divide half the batter among the muffin cups.
9. Make and indentation in the middle of each and fill with 1 Tablespoon jam. Top each with remaining batter.
10. Bake in preheated oven about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
11. Turn the cakes out of the muffin tins and transfer to a wire rack, over parchment paper, to cool.